Despite the name, do it yourself (DIY) projects do not need to be done alone. You can always reference YouTube videos and different “How-To” guides for instructions, but there is another resource that you may not be aware of: your local lumberyard!
In New Ulm, we have two local lumberyard/construction material providers: Puhlmann Lumber & Design and Design Home Center. Both of these companies provide services that you probably aren’t aware of! Like most lumberyards, these stores are much more than just a vendor of wood. They can help you with your project from the design phase to implementation. From a project as small as an end table to as big as drafting a home blueprint, lumberyard employees are experts in the field.
If you do start to take on DIY woodworking projects and find a true passion for it, there are several career options to consider, many of which require the following skills/duties:
- “Understand detailed architectural drawings, schematics, shop drawings, and blueprints
- Prepare and set up machines and tooling for woodwork manufacturing
- Lift wood pieces onto machines, either by hand or with hoists
- Operate woodworking machines, including saws and milling and sanding machines
- Listen for unusual sounds or detect excessive vibration in machinery
- Ensure that products meet industry standards and project specifications, making adjustments as necessary
- Select and adjust the proper cutting, milling, boring, and sanding tools for completing a job
- Use hand tools to trim pieces or assemble products”
Source: College Grad
Different career paths and/or titles for a career in the industry include: